Sunday, May 4, 2008

Chicken, chicken and more chicken!

Chicken seems to be quite dominant on my weekly menu lately. I like chicken, mainly the breast meat, as I find many different ways to use it. Every month there is a sale at the food markets for .99/pound which is pretty good. So I usually buy a large enough package and freeze each piece individually. Sometimes the breast is rather large, so I cook the whole piece and make two meals out of it. Here is a list of meals I have made--baked as is, chicken tenders, chicken pot pie, chicken sweet and sour with rice, chicken parmesan with spaghetti and chicken nuggets. I know there are lots more but these are pretty much it. When I go out to eat, I notice I look for anything but chicken cuz I do pretty good on that at home. With the price of food going out of site, I am glad I like my own cooking. Also look at what the whole chicken can offer such as the legs and thighs as well. The thigh meat can be used for chicken pot pie or chicken salad. The legs are the legs. Not much to change there and who doesn't go for only chicken legs, breaded and baked. You may have noticed I don't mention fried chicken. True, southern fried chicken is terrific but how about all the fat. I, for one, stay away from it as far as cooking it. So all in all, chicken and all its parts can make for many different meals for one person or a family. Try some variety in your chicken meals and your family may just like it. Two sites that have some great recipes are GROUP RECIPES.COM and EONS-COOKING FOR ONE/TWO(links are to the left.)
Also, try some fish now and then. Broiled or baked filets are great with a salad and baked potato. I may have mentioned that catfish filets are our local venue. True they are not as reasonable as chicken but oh so tasty. This is one item I like to order in a restaurant. I am looking forward to us getting fresh fish markets in operation again where the fish is fresh off the boat.
Now that summer is here and fresh vegetables will be available, try cooking at home more often.

No comments: