Friday, May 9, 2008

Happy Mother's Day to All

This is the REALLY BIG weekend to celebrate your Mom. Everyone has a reason and mine is as follows: Thanks Mom for how to cope with all the tricks of life that can come along. You were a good example to follow. I have learned to live my life each day as it comes.
Many of the cooking blogs/sites are giving ideas for what to do/give on Mother's Day. Whatever you decide to do, Mom will appreciate the thought. The best gift for me was to go out to eat being as I cooked for 6 people each and everyday. This was a great treat to be waited upon especially for a meal I would not normally prepare. I usually got to choose where to go, as well.
I came across a new cooking blog today at "Cooking Light" called "OUR TABLE". Lots of interesting foods to peruse thru. What I like about the magazine itself, is that there is a different take on cooking more healthy meals. Cooking for 2 makes a big difference as well. On the home page for "Cooking Light" look for the ad for 2 free issues(down at the bottom of page.) If you wish you can always cancel later on. I find getting magazines this way, gives me a chance to decide if I want to subscribe to them.
I just finished baking a 'lemon pound cake' in a loaf pan from "Taste of Home". Strawberries are available again, so I planned the baking in time.
Ingredients: Loaf Lemon Pound Cake
· 2/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
· 1-1/4 cups sugar
· 2 tablespoons lemon juice
· 1 teaspoon lemon extract
· 2/3 cup milk or 1/2 c yogurt
· 2-1/4 cups cake flour *
· 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
· 1 teaspoon baking powder
· 3 eggs
· Confectioners' sugar
Directions:
In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in lemon juice and extract. Add milk; beat for 30 seconds. Sift cake flour, salt and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture. Beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Pour into a greased waxed paper-lined 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pan. Bake at 300° for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Remove waxed paper. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
* I used 1 3/4 c regular flour + 1/4 corn starch
** Have all your ingrediets measured and at room temperature.

No comments: