Saturday, September 15, 2007

Fall vegetables and desserts



Here is a nice dessert or even make for breakfast. I notice they use pears but I prefer the apple.


Autumn Dessert
1 large ripe pear or tart apple, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 cup water, divided
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon raisins, optional
1 teaspoon butter or margarine
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Dash ground nutmeg 1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 slices cinnamon bread, toasted
In a saucepan, combine pear, 1/4 cup water, sugar, raisins if desired, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg.
Cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until fruit is tender. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; add to fruit mixture.
Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
Serve warm over cinnamon toast. Top with ice cream or whipped cream if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
NOTE: I made this with a tart apple and made my own cinnamon toast. This recipe came from Taste of Home.
You can find many recipes at Taste of Home site using many of the fall vegetables that are already showing up in the stores. One such recipe is a BUTTERNUT APPLE CRISP and recipes for pumpkin.
I found a great list of desserts at Food and Wine. Browse thru the list and maybe you will find something. I also have been getting emails from Pillsbury.com with lots of recipes for fall. So I suppose all the baking sites will be showing more and more for fall and even the holidays. But it is still quite warm here on the Gulf Coast and I am not into heating up the oven.




No comments: