Monday, April 7, 2008

Carrot cake or cupcakes

How do you feel about carrots? Maybe take them or leave it alone!!!! Well it seems baking carrot cake or cupcakes is the online "in thing" for baking. Numerous sites are touting using carrots, so I figured I may just as well join in. I have just recently taken to eating the baby carrots with a meal but now I am into using them in baking.
My favorite is the carrot cake but not so much the three layer one as it is just too much cake for me. I went to visit Martha's site and found a great recipe for cupcakes that I turned around and make a 8 X 8 one layer. Yep, even spread the cream cheese frosting which really makes it all the better. Here are the ingredients and go over to her site and get the how-to which is just combining the ingredients and baking at 350ยบ.
Martha Stewart's Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes or 8 x 8 pan
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled) 1 1/2 cups FINELY shredded carrots
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup shredded coconut, plus more for garnish
8 ounces bar cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
So I now have a great recipe to take care of carrot cake. A much bigger sheet cake is here beetgoeson.blogspot.com/2008/03/grin-and-carrot.html. Lots of other carrot cake recipes at Group Recipes.
If you would like to read more about carrot cake and its origin, I found a wealth of information at FoodTimeLine by Lynne Olver (IACP & ALA), editor.

No comments: