Saturday, February 23, 2008

Today is National Banana Bread Day

According to Slashfood.com, today is National Banana Bread Day. Here in the south bananas are plentiful as we get boatloads of them daily. When not so plentiful, I let them get yucky looking and stick them in the freezer for a later date. Personally I like to eat them as is, on cereal and of course, in baking. I must have a half dozen recipes that I have made and like, so I just pick one and go for it. I like to use the mini baking pans and that way I take out one little one at a time. Course this is a good way to give some away to friends who love the bread but don't do much baking. You don't have to have a holiday to share this goodie.
The one recipe I like came from Food and Wine.com sometime last fall. This was posted there by the writer but came from Beth Hensperge--PILLSBURY COOKBOOK 1998. It is just one loaf pan but you can always use the minis and spread the dough into at least 3 small ones. Anyway it is one of my favorites which I am sure you have yours as well. I looked in my files for a picture but there were none. Imagine that!
I got my copy of the Southern Living 2007 Annual Cookbook. To say the least there are many recipes to enjoy but I was really dissappointed in that the pictures were like a centerfold only. I like to see the picture on the recipe page itself which makes me inclined to make it. See for yourself. One thing I did get by ordering it was a springform cheesecake pan with a recipe book as well. Yes, yes, I am definitely going to make myself something for Easter. This is going to be one of those rich, creamy ones with a cherry topping.

No comments: